Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: fw-1 general & VPN questions

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () nfr net>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 09:22:51 -0400

Eric Vyncke wrote:
I would personnaly prefer a plain ASCII login via a dedicated
login program with `strong' authentication with S/key or any
other OTP. Then a complete logging of everything the user types.

        I always wanted to find source code for a decent W32 VT100
emulator, and then add crypto to it. Modify a version of /bin/login
to recognize a "go secure" login and spin off a proxy that allocates
a pty, then calls login over a link-encrypted session. It'd be easy
and fairly portable and best of all it'd scale with modem speed,
instead of the more egregiously expensive solutions like the
encrypting modems which are always a generation late on the bandwidth.

mjr.
--
Marcus J. Ranum, CEO, Network Flight Recorder, Inc.
work - http://www.nfr.net