Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Say it Ain't So

From: "Jim Leo" <ADMIN () everett pitt cc nc us>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 14:59:49 EST5EDT

I appreciate all the responses.
Factual Data:
                1. We have four Class C's ( 2 on one side & 2 on the other)
                2. We have a Cisco 2501 (2 ether) router
                3. The 'outside' of the Cisco (csu/dsu) IP belongs to an 'upstream'
                    entity.
                4. All four Class C's are legal....
                5. When the firewall was 'dropped in' on the first try everything
                    behind it ceased to have access even to other hosts on the
                    inside.

I'm presuming the Network Administrator ( I'm Network Operations)
wished to have a 'psuedo' Class A/B under their control. However, no
one is owning up to anything at this point in time. To the gentleman
who mentioned scope creep; I think that the upstream entity has the
firewall installers 'in their pocket' and it was their approach to
conserving their regional 'net-blk'....

Thanks for the sparkling wit and dry humour...
I'm off to 'NT Core Technology' training this coming week. Since the
boss decided I'm supporting NT already might as well get trained.

Jim Leo
admin () everett pitt cc nc us