Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Policy and administration was Re: Firewall administration.

From: Ted Doty <ted () iss net>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 08:29:37 -0400

At 05:44 PM 10/12/97 -0400, Mark Teicher wrote:

Based on your comments below, you are stating that depending on the
firewall/internet/security solution a particular corporation,organization,
selects, then that also depends on staffing requirements, design of
security policies, network architecture, security matrices and event
escalation..

Actually, I don't think that this is quite true.  I agree with Bennett that
many firewall implementations can be relatively simple.  I do think that
the overall process of ensuring that your security is working applies to
both large and small organizations.  Anything that a large organization
does to maintain their posture should also be done by small ones, allbeit
on a small scale.

So what is your ideal solution then based upon those criteria??

Ted's list of what every organization needs:

1. A simple statement of policy.

2. A mapping of implementation into policy, hopefully with contradictions
resolved ("FTP is bad, but Web is OK").

3. Periodic tests to show that the security posture isn't changing due to:
        a. Changes in the firewall config
        b. changes in the firewall code (updates)
        c. changes in the attacks used on the net (e.g. persistant attacks
           from a particular source)

In Fortune-500 speak, #1 is the domain of Management, #2 is the domain of
MIS, and #3 is the domain of the auditors.  Commonality is provided by the
security officer.  There's actually a good reason that different people do
the audit, for the same reason we have different people test our code -
it's too easy to say "Oh yeah, I knew that."

I don't see why a small company doesn't need this, too.  Nothing has to be
printed in multi-hundred page reports, but I get very nervous without a
feedback loop.  At teh very minimum, their security posture goes out the
window when their firewall administrator gets hit by a bus.

What this is really getting at is that Bennett is correct, and more or less
has #2 covered (maybe #1 as well).  Adding periodic checks to make sure
that goll dang it, things *are* OK is simple prudence.

Extending this to a topic that keeps coming up, I see this as a *perfect*
service for an ISP to offer to small business.

- Ted

Ted Doty, Internet Security Systems | Phone: +1 770 395 0150
41 Perimeter Center East            | Fax:   +1 770 395 1972
Atlanta, GA 30346  USA              | Web: http://eng.iss.net/~tdoty
PGP key fingerprint: 362A EAC7 9E08 1689  FD0F E625 D525 E1BE