Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: a question of charter

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () nfr net>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 17:21:18 -0400

[I won't post follow-ups to this message]

        Thanks to all who responded to my mail on this topic! I'm
sorry I couldn't respond personally to each message -- there were
too many of them.

        The strong majority of the responses favored that the list:
        -> Continue to permit broad-scope discussion of topics
        related to firewalls and advanced security
        -> Be more aggressively moderated to trim less substantive
        postings
        -> Continue to be filtered to reduce the number of basic
        introductory type postings

        I short, approximately the same but with a bit more enforcement
of relevance, brevity, and content. I've been instituting that posting
policy over the last week or so -- those of you who haven't posted a
"me too!" article, or something badly written, or with lots of inclusions,
will not notice this. :)  I've been bouncing a number of postings for:
        -> Bad ratio of quoted text to new content
        -> Cross-posting to firewalls@greatcircle [because when there
        is a crosspost I have to wade through TONS of spam directed
        back]
        -> Thread errors [Some postings have started a new thread
        that is worthwhile in the context of an old one. I bounce these
        to the poster and ask that the poster resubmit it to start a new
        thread]
        -> Already discussed content -- if a thread is declared "dead"
        then I will not post more to that thread. In fact, if someone
        tries to resurrect that thread they will get a note saying in
        effect, "look at the archives. that topic is covered there."
        -> Talking too much -- too many postings hitting the queue at
        once will simply be delayed and trickled out over time [I have
        already done this once, but Interop helped]
        -> Too much of one voice -- individuals will not be allowed
        to dominate the discussion through volume. Quality, not
        quantity.

For those of you who wonder about these things, I have bounced
about 10 "I am on vacation" mails, 30 "Get rich fast" mails, 30
postings that didn't meet quality expectations, a bunch of
miss-postings and duplicates, and about 10 dead threads. So
there *IS* some filtering going on here! I hope it shows! :)

My feeling is that this experiment has been working fairly well.
From my standpoint, moderating the list is actually LESS effort
than wading through the spam, irrelevance, and flames! It's
easier on my blood pressure, too! :)

As always, comments and suggestions are welcomed!!!

mjr.
--
Marcus J. Ranum, CEO, Network Flight Recorder, Inc.
work - http://www.nfr.net