Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewalls/Internet Security - TNG

From: Fred Donck <f.c.w.donck () siep shell com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 08:39:57 +0100

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

Where next? I think that for security products to succeed, and for
network/system management products to succeed, the two must
become one. System and network management are already huge
markets -- sooner or later one of two things will happen:
        -> heterogenous products for system/network management
                will appear, and will incorporate security as a component

        -> heterogenous networks will disappear and be replaced
                with networks all running products from Microsoft and
                Microsoft will 'fix' security when they get around to it
                or it'll be a 3rd party add-on for Windows-2000

Looking at how the company I work for acts....
It's going for wall2wall M$ products.
From desktop to NT boxes out in the open with so-call M$-firewall products
on them.
Unfortunately this showes that Marcus is right. Signs are there !!

This scares me.

Just my $0.02,
Fred

mjr.
--
Marcus J. Ranum, CEO, Network Flight Recorder, Inc.
work - http://www.nfr.net

--
| Fred Donck                   | Voice/Fax : +31-70-311-2374           |