Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: [EXTERNAL] [SECURITY] Public Facing Resources

From: Dan Wasson <dan () NMC EDU>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 11:00:23 -0400

Hi Emilee,

We have done quite a bit of work over the years in this area, and have
modified it several times.

Prospective Students (needing to fill out paperwork)
We have kiosk machines in areas that students can use to fill out online
forms, etc.  These machines are auto-logged on with a generic account.  The
machine is frozen using DeepFreeze.

Visiting Professors (may need access to print as well)
Visiting Vendors
Teacher Cohorts
In addition to the above, we also rent facility space for any number of
events.  Individuals that need access to our technology systems can gain
access in different ways.  Those needing regular access can get a
contractor/partner account.  These are requested by the department or
employee that is responsible for the individual needing access.   These are
generally provided without email access, but if the justifiable need is
there, it will include email.  These accounts must be tied to a department
or employee, and are checked 4 times a year to ensure that the access is
still needed.  If we do not get a response to our inquiry, we suspend
access until confirmation has been provided.

Individuals or groups that rent our facilities are provided a visitor login
ID, we have a total of 15 of these.  Our scheduling department changes the
password after each use.

Visitors to the Library (we are a community college and allow the community
to use our libraries)
We too are a community college and allow community members to use our
libraries and computers in the library.  We have a generic ID that staff
can provide in these cases.  The password is changed somewhat regularly.

In addition to all of these, we also provide continuing education classes
to the community.  Some of these classes utilize computers.  We have gone
the path of using a generic account for these classes.  The password is
changed periodically, but not enough to make me happy.  I'm still working
on that one.

*Dan Wasson*
*Director Systems & LAN Management*
*Northwestern Michigan College*
*231-995-1164*
*dwasson () nmc edu <dwasson () nmc edu>*

*Don't be a scam victim - NMC and other reputable organizations will never
use email to request that you reply with your password, social security
number or confidential personal information.*

Curious how other institutions handle access to public facing technology
for visitors on campuses (i.e. PC;s, printers etc).  We are trying to move
the college away from generic logins and develop standards.
.
Use cases that have been presented:

   - Prospective Students (needing to fill out paperwork)
   - Visiting Professors (may need access to print as well)
   - Visiting Vendors
   - Teacher Cohorts
   - Community Representatives
   - Visitors to the Library (we are a community college and allow the
   community to use our libraries)

Thank you,
Emilie

<https://austincc.edu/>

Emilie Kunze

IT Security Analyst Sr.

Acting Information Security Officer

Office of Information Technology

ekunze () austincc edu  | o 512-223-1157

ACC Information Security
<https://it.austincc.edu/departments/information-security/>

       <https://www.facebook.com/accinfosec/>
<https://twitter.com/ACCInfoSec>

*                                                  CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE
                                            *
This communication, including any attachments, may contain confidential
information and is intended only for the individual or entity to which it
is addressed. Any review, dissemination, or copying of this communication
by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you
are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail,
delete and destroy all copies of the original message.