Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: What security framework are you using, and why?

From: Blake Penn <bpenn () COLGATE EDU>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 16:00:19 -0400

Hi Vince,

I'd echo what Chris said by focusing on your goal first (as many of
the frameworks that you mention are different frameworks designed for
different purposes).

ISO 27001 is an information security management framework (how to
build/operate an effective information security management system (ISMS)
aka cybersecurity program), COBIT is an IT governance framework, ITIL is an
IT service management framework, and NIST 800-53 is a cybersecurity
controls framework.

They all have different (but sometimes overlapping) purposes. You really
need to know the "why" before you start choosing frameworks and you may
want to work with several frameworks instead of choosing just one for the
reasons mentioned above.

Best regards,
Blake

--
Blake Penn (he/him/his)
Chief Information Security Officer

On Fri, Sep 17, 2021 at 3:10 PM Christian Schreiber <chris () cschreiber llc>