Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: What security framework are you using, and why?

From: John Virden <john.virden () MIAMIOH EDU>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 14:59:25 -0400

Hello Vince, always a fun topic. In the past I have followed ISO 27001/2
(which I like) and NIST CSF (easy for non-security folks to understand).

At Miami of Ohio we use what we call NIST SP 800-171 'Plus.' Simply means
we are using the NIST 171 as a basis to cover confidentiality, and adding a
handful of other controls from ISO and NIST SP 800-53 to cover availability
and integrity.

Why the push for NIST 171? Two reasons.

1) The state of Ohio offers safe harbor
<https://codes.ohio.gov/ohio-revised-code/section-1354.02> (i.e.
affirmative defense in case of data breach) if we conform to one of their
'industry recognized frameworks.' I mention this in case you want to look
at your State's codes to see if they give any direction.
2) With CMMC for Federal research data on our doorstep, conforming to NIST
171 reduces the number of frameworks we need to contend with.

Wish you well.
John