Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: [External] Re: [SECURITY] What security framework are you using, and why?

From: "Shankar, Anurag" <ashankar () IU EDU>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 20:49:31 +0000

Hi Vince,

It really depends on what you want to do.  If it is to make individual systems comply with regulations, the NIST RMF
and 800-53 are still the way to go in my opinion, that is, if you have the resources and gumption to stomach the lot.
We have used the RMF since 2014, mostly because it gives us a single tool to address pretty much all cyber compliance,
in particular FISMA, DFARS, and HIPAA.  (We have about 70 central research and enterprise systems for which we maintain
800-53 SSPs.)  The problem is that, because of its use of a control set like 800-53, the RMF is highly system-centric,
expensive, and a poor choice for building say a campus security program.  The best framework for that is the newly
minted Trusted CI Framework (https://www.trustedci.org/framework).  While its implementation guide is for research CI
providers, the general principles are universal.  800-171 is just a smaller, system-centric control catalog (than
800-53), but still system-centric.  NIST CSF is ok as a framework, but still too NIST-ish for me.

Anurag

--

Anurag Shankar, PhD

Center for Applied Cybersecurity Research

Indiana University