Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Policy language around email and other forms of "official electronic communication" platforms

From: Alex Lindstrom <aglind () UDEL EDU>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 09:48:45 -0500

Building on the above:

We prohibit sensitive data being emailed in cleartext. The first workaround
would be to put the data in an encrypted attachment, but that's not the
best fix.

Usually, if there's a business process that requires routine communication
or transfer of sensitive data, we work with the business owner to identify
a solution that suits their needs and protects the data at the same time.
I'm a firm believer in building security and compliance into easy-to-use
solutions; policy directives in the absence of user-friendly options will
simply lead to policy violations.

E.g.: our clinics needed a secure mechanism for communicating with
patients. We ended up using some of the native Outlook and O365 features to
create a secure message delivery service where the recipient receives an
email notification that a message is available, and the message itself is
encrypted and held in a separate portal until the user authenticates. No
more PHI in the email itself, encrypted or not. This functionality is baked
into some practice management or other systems, and I'd recommend keeping
these compliance needs in mind if you're aware of any upcoming RFPs or
procurement activity.

More holistically speaking, data classification and information security
policies need to apply to the entire ecosystem. After all, while email may
be the lowest common denominator, many departments have specialized
communication tools built into their needs-specific platforms (e.g., CRM,
LMS).

The best approach I've seen is based on a service catalog keyed to data
classification. Some examples of these service catalogs from our peers:

   - Stanford:
   https://uit.stanford.edu/guide/riskclassifications#security-approved-services
   - University of Michigan: https://safecomputing.umich.edu/dataguide/
   - Yale: https://cybersecurity.yale.edu/approved-services

This covers everything from file storage to collaboration platforms and
helps (1) advertise services, (2) reinforce policy, and (3) help users
choose compliant tools.

The next step from here is proactive business process engineering to ensure
that everyone, especially those working with sensitive/regulated data, has
compliant and appropriate tools in their workflows. This includes
substituting in available options or partnering to procure a new solution
(if needed).

Best,
-----

Alex Lindstrom

IT Security Analyst II
UDIT Security | Governance, Risk, & Compliance

(302) 831-4823