Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Policy language around email and other forms of "official electronic communication" platforms

From: "Martinez, Brian" <brm () MSU EDU>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2021 21:49:36 +0000

Jim,

My two cents: while email may be the "official electronic communication platform" I would tend to stay away from PII
being used within it, whether internal or not. Worst case, assuming you have access to such tools (I think it's
built-in at all level of 365(?)), utilize the #encrypt feature in the subject line to encrypt sensitive data. Best
case, you find some other more secure medium to act as an intermediary for sending/receiving such data.

I'd consider Teams within the same realm as email. The whole idea behind Slack, originally, was to be an "email
replacement." I feel Microsoft really made better progress towards that than Slack did given how heavily Teams ties
into the [collaborative] 365 environment. And, of course, during this pandemic, Teams usage has become pervasive. While
certainly a separate product from Outlook/Exchange, it is likely assessed similarly (by which I mean the answers on a
HECVAT from the Microsoft Teams team would likely be nearly the same answers provided by the Microsoft Mail team). I
would think Zoom, Blackboard, and any other products in which you can message should be encompassed in the policy as
well, but I would absolutely not send anything PII through them and it sounds like your policy would already address
that. Shorter answer here: Yes, definitely include other forms of electronic communication in said policy.

Regards,

Brian R. Martinez
Information Security
Michigan State University