Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: [External] [SECURITY] cybersecurity representation on the IRB

From: "Knauss, Beth" <Elizabeth.Knauss () TUFTS EDU>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2021 18:16:14 +0000

At Tufts, we don’t have a cybersecurity/data privacy person on our IRBs. The IRBs often consult with us to support
their Common Rule requirement to consider privacy for research subjects and data confidentiality. We get frequent
requests for reviews especially when a researcher wants to use or develop a new app/tool or will be collecting data
that is subject to the EEA and UK GDPRs or other privacy laws. We write up the results of our review and submit it as
an ancillary review in our eIRB system.

Beth Knauss
Information Security Compliance Program Manager
Tufts Technology Services
Tufts University
(she/her/hers)