Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Fake Student Applications/Registrations

From: "Wesolowski, Nathan R." <Nathan.Wesolowski () NWTC EDU>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 20:08:58 +0000

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting here.

Since last weekend we have observed an unusually high number of new student applications/registrations containing fake
information.  After investigating, I discovered that our College was recently featured on a Chinese blog.  The blog's
"educational welfare" category lists dozens of other colleges and universities, along with step-by-step details for
obtaining free accounts/email addresses  - hxxps://404edublog.cf/<https://404edublog.cf/>.

It is obvious that these scammers are after a .EDU email address.  With the ongoing COVID situation, we have waved or
postponed certain fees in an attempt to reduce any registration barriers.  I believe that this is contributing to our
problem.  While we have tools in place to help us identify and remove fake identities, I am curious to know what others
have done about this problem.

Thanks,
Nate

Nate Wesolowski
Information Security Analyst

Northeast Wisconsin Technical College
2740 W. Mason Street
Green Bay, WI 54307
O 920.498.6943 | T 800-422-NWTC
nate.wesolowski () nwtc edu<mailto:nate.wesolowski () nwtc edu> | nwtc.edu<https://www.nwtc.edu/>

[cid:image001.jpg@01D661CC.59B2A1B0]

CONFIDENTIALITY: This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged
information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender and delete this e-mail from your system.