Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Evaluation of Phishing Attempts for Community Notice

From: "Matthew Nappi [Information Security]" <matthew.nappi () STONYBROOK EDU>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 13:47:26 -0400

Hi Robert:

We target actual recipients when we receive a report of a phishing email
that made into our mailboxes warning them that they were recipients of the
particular attack and encouraging them to let us know to they fell victim.
In terms of general campus-wide alerts, we do so based on observed trends.
For example, we sent an alert regarding Business Email Compromises on the
heels of several reported attempts and we sent a COVID specific alert when
we heard of reports in the wild, but before we actually received any
incoming reports because we were trying to get ahead of it. In any case,
it’s always hard to strike a balance between raising awareness and alert
fatigue, so we prefer targeted whenever possible.

On Thu, Jul 16, 2020 at 12:03 PM Barton, Robert W. <bartonrt () lewisu edu>