Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Evaluation of Phishing Attempts for Community Notice

From: "Barton, Robert W." <bartonrt () LEWISU EDU>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2020 16:03:10 +0000

When considering sending out general alerts for phishing emails, what criteria do you use (if you do...)?  Number of
users receiving the email?  Sophistication of email attack?  ‘Whale’ vs small fish targets?  Do staff/fac have a higher
priority than students?  The reason I ask is we started with a straight numbers vs target comparison and now think we
should have a more nuanced evaluation of when we send something out.  We don't want to flood inboxes with warnings (as
the quantity of attacks has ticket upward), but want to send them out when necessary as they are also good reminders to
be vigilant.  What do you do?

Robert W. Barton
Executive Director of Information Security & Policy
Lewis University
One University Parkway
Romeoville, IL  60446-2200
815-836-5663