Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Equipment Loan Policy

From: Stacy Lee <sbl () STANFORD EDU>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2020 15:39:20 +0000

James,

Stanford University IT has a couple resources online on this.

https://uit.stanford.edu/guide/telecommuting

https://uit.stanford.edu/guide/telecommuting/equipment

If you have a endpoint management agent that can track hardware you could inventory equipment and changes if you wanted
to get that down to that level of detail and monitoring.

Enforcing verifiable disk encryption would help protect in the event of physical loss of equipment.  That might contain
PII.

https://uit.stanford.edu/service/encryption/wholedisk

Tools such as an EDR, NGAV, password managers, enforcing regular patching, pop up blockers, email protections (Url
defense, attachment scanning, imposter protections), logging to a siem, are some way to help protect the users from
phishing and online compromises while giving your team ways investigate incidents.

Thanks,

Stacy Lee
ISO Security Operations
Stanford University