Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Admissions application bot activity

From: Mac McGaughy <jmcgaug1 () UNCC EDU>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2020 18:01:07 -0400

More than likely this could be cause by some type of HTTP post
mishandling.  This link talks about how to harden POST against unauthorized
access.  It talks about Wordpress but it would work for other types of
frameworks.

https://perishablepress.com/protect-post-requests/

Mac McGaughy
CISO, UNC Charlotte

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 5:46 PM Czarapata, Paul (KCTCS) <
paul.czarapata () kctcs edu> wrote:

Dear colleagues,

Sorry for the cross-post, but we have a bit of a situation here at KCTCS.
We have been getting tens of thousands of fake admissions applications over
the past 6 weeks.  We have re-captcha implemented and they are still
getting through, but at such a pace there

is no way a human can be doing it.  The network team is watching the IP
addresses and blocking, but then they just pop up from somewhere else.  Our
student team is working on a pin code process, but that's not ready yet.
We don't have an admissions application

fee either, or that would likely stop them.  I was just curious if anyone
else had seen this happening and if you have stopped it, what you did?

Thank you in advance - PC

*Paul Czarapata, Ed.D.*

<https://www.google.com/maps/search/300+North+Main+Street+%0D%0A+%0D%0A+Versailles,+KY+40383?entry=gmail&source=g>

<https://www.google.com/maps/search/300+North+Main+Street+%0D%0A+%0D%0A+Versailles,+KY+40383?entry=gmail&source=g>Vice
President/Chief Information Officer

Kentucky Community & Technical College System

300 North Main Street
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/300+North+Main+Street+%0D%0A+%0D%0A+Versailles,+KY+40383?entry=gmail&source=g>

Versailles, KY 40383
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/300+North+Main+Street+%0D%0A+%0D%0A+Versailles,+KY+40383?entry=gmail&source=g>

O: 859/256-3248

Your success equals our success.

<https://twitter.com/pczarapata>  <https://linkedin.com/in/pczarapata>
<https://www.facebook.com/KCTCS>

*Training and Learning Center* <http://kctcs.edu/tlc>* | **Technology
Solutions Help Desk* <http://ithelpdesk.kctcs.edu/>

*| Technology Communications Center <http://kctcs.edu/tcc>*

--
Jessie McGaughy | CISSP-ISSAP, CISSP, CCSP, PMP, C|EH, ITIL