Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Admissions application bot activity

From: "Hagan, Sean" <sean.hagan () YC EDU>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 22:35:47 +0000

It may be a combination of factors - we've certainly dealt with the financial aid fraud, but in my experience, the
large volume of applications (botnet or not) is not attempting finaid fraud - they simply want the .edu email
addresses, and in my experience never for spam (not to say it doesn't happen, but we don't see new accounts spun up
just to send out spam).

Our experience, and those of some similar institutions, leads me to believe the primary motivation is free/discounted
services accessible to .edu emails - be that from Microsoft, Amazon, Google, or others.

We also saw a pretty broad educational software purchase scam involving stolen credit cards/Paypal accounts purchasing
Microsoft Office (EDU version) for $15.  If you have a Kivuto/OnTheHub instance, you might check your process for
approving new accounts and look at the purchase history.  And if you're like us, you might have multiple organizational
accounts with them, some of which no one at your organization may be aware of.

Regarding Paul's original email - we have re-captcha implemented (and have had it for two years) and we still get fake
apps - certainly not as many as before, but quite a few still.  We believe they are being completed by real people
using a database of fake people based on certain factors (notably time taken to complete the application, time between
applications, and names/addresses/email addresses supplied), but we still get a bunch.  We also noted they use US-based
VPN providers (well, exit nodes), so blocking any non-US netblock is unlikely to be effective.

We have someone who has the perhaps unenviable task of reviewing new admissions applications on a daily basis and they
(plus our automated blocking and alerting) are pretty adept at identifying fake apps and allowing us to promptly remove
them.  Oddly (or perhaps not), most of those fake applications happen on holidays or weekends.

Wish I had a more encouraging or helpful response.

Regards,

Sean