Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Phishing Simulation - Punitive Escalation

From: Jesse Thompson <000000b6da97d697-dmarc-request () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 15:44:33 -0500

Depending on your organization's culture, there are probably people who are intentionally clicking on them, knowing
that it will annoy you :-)  Or, maybe they think that they're supposed to click on them once they correctly identify it
as a simulation.  Or, maybe they're using a poorly designed email client that still loads remote content automatically
(you can test various clients using https://www.emailprivacytester.com/).  Or, maybe there is anti-malware protection
in the loop that is loading remote content without user interaction (this is becoming increasingly common)

I think that too many organizations have been sold on the idea that the phishing simulations are a vehicle for training
and compliance.

In my opinion, phishing simulations are ideal for highly controlled measurements of your organization's susceptibility
to the phishing risk, over time, as a way to determine if the other factors (phishing awareness/training, emerging
threats, anti-spam protection) within the equation are trending in the direction you desire.  It's tricky to do it
right, since you'll need to craft messages that are very similar to the type of threats your users will likely see in
the wild, and then you'll need to do something like send the same message repeatedly over time to different sets of
users with the same demographics in a statistically significant fashion.

My opinion on this matter is partially derived from conversations with various people at M3AAWG, including people who
work for vendors that sell this type of phishing simulation service.

Jesse Thompson
University of Wisconsin-Madison