Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Phishing Simulation - Punitive Escalation

From: "Ullman, Catherine" <cende () BUFFALO EDU>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 16:30:11 +0000

My $.02 -

I don’t think there’s a global easy solution to this problem per se.  My experience overall is that sitting down with
someone sooner than later to see if you can get them to explain the disconnect to you is key.  Usually it’s one of two
things:  1. Someone who just doesn’t really understand – either because no one spent the time with them or they
struggle with learning concepts for whatever reason.  2.Someone who just doesn’t care.  I think the important thing is
to determine which of these two categories the “frequent” clicker falls into.  You can often help with #1 in a number
of ways, including going out of your way to educate and reward them for getting it right.  You can’t do much about #2
aside from provide documentation and ideally put in additional risk mitigation wherever possible.

Best,
Cathy

Dr. Catherine J Ullman
Senior Information Security Forensic Analyst
Information Security Office
University at Buffalo
cende () buffalo edu<mailto:cende () buffalo edu>