Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Public Facing Faculty listings

From: Benjamin Schwartz <bschwar2 () ASHLAND EDU>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2019 18:57:12 +0000

We had increased incidents of phishing and spear phishing back in 2017 and resulted in major incident.

At the time we also believed our public facing directory was a root of the problem. With much resistance we got
approval to take it down and immediately the incidents became fewer.

Faculty were the biggest hurdle and they resorted to posting some directory information on their College site.
Additionally, we improved our auto attendant to allow for better options for callers.

We encouraged each department to get a department email and in most cases faculty distribute their contacts to those
that need it.

Benjamin Schwartz
Director of Infrastructure and Security
Information Technology