Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Public Facing Faculty listings

From: "Barton, Robert W." <bartonrt () LEWISU EDU>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2019 15:14:38 +0000

Morning sir,

We have a public facing staff/faculty directory.  We do see spam, phishing and spear phishing.  I cannot say that the
directory is the cause, and after a search, we found MANY other Universities that public facing directories.  So, when
I brought the subject up, the idea was met with 'it is a positive for marketing' and others do it, so....

I've started to do two things.
1)  Look at our phishing tickets or false email requests and note their spoofed source.  If it is not a 'whaling'
attempt, I point to it has a knowledge point that was collected off the web site.
2)  I have collect all of the alternate communication methods that are used within the University; Blackboard, social
media, etc.  These alternates, along with the fact that the students DO NOT use email as their primary communication
means starts to deflate the need to have those addresses out there.

I hope to have an in-depth discussion or a recommendation that goes before our governance committees.  Other ideas are
welcome.

Robert W. Barton
Executive Director of Information Security and Policy
Lewis University
One University Parkway
Romeoville, IL  60446-2200
815-836-5663