Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Gaming Consoles/UPnP

From: "Pete, Andrew" <000000d06e28c017-dmarc-request () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2019 21:20:54 +0000

We regularly get requests/complaints from students living on campus that they are unable to play some games online.
The issue is that the game console is trying to use UPnP to open up ports on the firewall.  This doesn't work since
UPnP isn't supported on enterprise equipment.  From what I could find on other institution's websites, their stance is
they do not support these devices.  I'm curious to hear if anyone has a different stance and if they have a working
solution.  I know configuring a 1 to 1 NAT is a possibility but that would require purchasing a large block of public
addresses.

Andrew Pete

Information Security Architect

New England Institute of Technology

One New England Tech Boulevard

East Greenwich, RI 02818-1205

401-780-4460 (Direct)

apete () neit edu<mailto:apete () neit edu>