Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: DNS over HTTPS changes

From: "Pete, Andrew" <000000d06e28c017-dmarc-request () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2019 15:30:01 +0000

Hi Jake,

This is something that I started digging into in the past week.  REN-ISAC has a great document in regards to the
changes and potential impact to operations.  I’ve attached the document in case you haven’t seen it.  The big takeaway
for me are:

1.      This feature could cause problems with the resolution of internal DNS names which would impact the ability to
reach internal resources.

2.      This feature introduces a number of security concerns in regards to protecting our environment.  Those include:

a.      We leverage Cisco Umbrella in our environment as one layer of protection against risky applications, malware,
data exfiltration, etc.  This also gives us log information for DNS requests which can be used in threat
hunting/forensics.  DNS over HTTPS (and TLS) allow the possibility to circumvent this layer of protection and our
security efforts.

b.      We have no control over the public DNS servers, how they are secured and the privacy of any information
captured.  Since we do not have a direct vendor relationship with the providers, we do not have a good way to managed
them.

From my point of view, the technical and security risks of allowing DNS over HTTPS and DNS over TLS outweigh the
benefits it would provide to our users since it would effectively result in a lower level of privacy/security.  Cisco
has a good document in regards to locking down DNS traffic if you are using Umbrella:
https://support.umbrella.com/hc/en-us/articles/230904088-Preventing-Circumvention-of-Cisco-Umbrella-with-Firewall-Rules.
  If you are not using Umbrella, a lot of the information in this document can be applied to other external DNS
providers.   I am also going to be working with our infrastructure team/desktop support folks to roll out group
policies which will disable the feature on devices we have control over.

Andy

Andrew Pete
Information Security Architect

New England Institute of Technology
One New England Tech Boulevard
East Greenwich, RI 02818-1205
401-780-4460 (Direct)
apete () neit edu<mailto:apete () neit edu>

[NEIT_Full_Stack_H_White_BG_PNG1]