Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Faculty personal laptops with FERPA data

From: David Escalante <david.escalante () BC EDU>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2019 16:51:51 -0400

For some time our security policy has stated that:

"Users. Users are responsible for complying with all security-related procedures pertaining to any InformationResource to which they have authorized access or any information derived therefrom that they possess. Specifically, a User is responsible for:

[...]

 *

   Boston College Strictly Confidential, Confidential, or Internal Use
   Only data, when removed from the campus or when accessed from
   off-campus, is subject to the same rules as would apply were the
   data on campus. Sponsors and Users will comply with this Policy and
   all relevant Data Security Directives irrespective of where the
   Boston College data might be located, including, for example, on
   home devices, mobile devices, on the Internet, or other third-party
   service providers."

So we don't stop faculty members from using a personal device or the cloud, but we mandate that they provide equivalent protections to what they'd get with university equipment.

--
David Escalante