Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Faculty personal laptops with FERPA data

From: Joel McKenzie <mckenzie () WCU EDU>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2019 19:42:53 +0000

Hi Sherri,

We have a very similar situation with adjuncts. We have an exception in our Data Handling Procedures that reads
"Instructors may store student data for necessary course-related work on a PC local hard drive or removable storage,
however it must be encrypted and removed after one year." With virtual desktops and OneDrive storage now available to
everyone, we are trying to move them away from using their local machines for storage. I'm hoping we can remove that
exception eventually.

-Joel P. McKenzie, MBA, CISSP

-Chief Information Security Officer

-Western Carolina University