Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: PCI keeping it simple

From: Paul Chauvet <chauvetp () NEWPALTZ EDU>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2019 20:36:37 +0000

Since as far as I'm aware Square's devices aren't on the PCI validated list of P2PE (Point-to-Point Encrypted)
technologies - it is mostly an issue of compliance with PCI.

If you are using only validated P2PE devices, you can fill out the shorter P2PE SAQ for these.  If it isn't validated
but is still P2PE - then you can still use those for scope reduction - which is still helpful.  You still need the more
expansive SAQ C (assuming these are your only devices on the merchant ID) though.

Note: Not a PCI QSA - so don't take anything I say as gospel.

Paul Chauvet, CISSP
Information Security Officer
State University of New York at New Paltz
845-257-3828
chauvetp () newpaltz edu<mailto:chauvetp () newpaltz edu>
[emlogo]