Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: [External] Re: [SECURITY] HECVAT and HECVAT lite Threshold

From: Alex Lindstrom <aglind () UDEL EDU>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2019 10:39:58 -0400

 All,

At Delaware, we view the HECVAT responses as a collection of data points
among many others, to include audit reports, strength of contractual
language, technical documentation, SOWs, SLAs, and so on. We broaden the
context to the entirety of the vendor's proposal package, and so we don't
necessarily attempt to create scoring thresholds that would gatekeep
vendors based on HECVAT responses alone.

To that end, we don't really use the analyst report. Rather, we review the
answers themselves with particular attention to specific questions
(including audit reports, SSO integration, data encryption). Some questions
are not as critical to the vendor's security posture, and, to Charlie's
point, each institution puts emphasis on certain controls and not so much
on others.

Most importantly, we evaluate HECVAT responses in the context of our
understanding of the service's risk based on an internal intake
questionnaire, which the requesting unit submits as part of their service
request. The questionnaire addresses issues such as the classification of
the data involved, criticality of the service to unit/University
operations, general types of risks (breach of PII, regulatory penalties,
theft of intellectual property, etc.), and nature of the implementation (on
prem, cloud). This analysis informs our negotiations with the vendor,
including contract redlines for security-related terms (security program,
confidentiality, breach provisions, audit reports) and project planning
items (SOWs, project plans).

My experience is that cloud services are so disparate that they cannot be
effectively "scored" in a vacuum. Even with an analyst weighting specific
questions to calculate an overall score, that score needs context in order
to have value. Institutions have to consider intended use, data involved,
integrations planned, and associated risk in order to make more informed
decisions about a cloud service. A vendor providing web management services
may be addressed more leniently than one requesting ERP integrations, and
one contractually promising annual copies of SSAE 16 SOC 2s or SOC 3s will
be viewed more favorably than one that offers no security terms whatsoever.

Best,

-----

Alex Lindstrom

IT Security Analyst II