Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [SECURITY] Student employees and access to data

From: Mike Beane <beanem () HUSSON EDU>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2019 11:33:21 -0400

They get a separate email account for work stuff (this is important to
quickly revoke access without interfering with their academics.)
Unfortunately, our reslife student employees don’t follow this and I
haven’t had any luck in having any enforcement on this.  They aren’t hired
through HR so it’s an edge case.

We're in this category (including RA's).

This past academic year was our first run through using a separate account
and we've just refined our internal process for the summer session: we have
very good buy-in from the departments and we were also able to progress
this by applying role based access to the process: this streamlined the
request process greatly.  Getting in touch with HR early on in the planning
to explain the reasoning was essential and as to get their support.

We created a sub-domain for their email (@ws.<institution>.edu), the
account mirrors their base account information ("ws-"+accountname) and the
visual name in the email directory (Google), when active, has "FirstName
LastName (Workstudy)" to set it visually aside from the student account.

Prior to that, we found that business data would become intertwined with
academic data, and separating those are nearly impossible.

Additionally, as work studies tend to come and go sometimes, we were able
to define a specific time annually when we can disable all work study
accounts that have not been renewed for position access (which ends up
being tomorrow for us by way of Graduation) into the summer session.

Best regards,
Mike

*Mike Beane*
IT Infrastructure Manager
*Ph: *207-941-7613
*Husson University*
1 College Circle
Bangor ME 04401

On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 10:24 AM James Valente <jvalente () salemstate edu>