Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Information Security Training

From: "Barton, Robert W." <bartonrt () LEWISU EDU>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2018 16:15:49 +0000

A side note...quick reference that I assembled from a few sources....  Although I could not find a specific requirement
for FERPA, it is mandatory for accreditation (this may affect what you are doing).  If somebody does know where that
could be in the FERPA reg, please let me know (I could have missed it).

Security Awareness Compliance Requirement

Standard/Regulation

Location/Item

Affecting

Penalty

General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR, European Union)

regulation

Function of Data Protection Officer

EU citizens and privacy

yes

Gramm-Leach Bliley Act (GLBA)

regulation

Safeguard Rule

Financial Aid

yes

Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)

regulation

164.308.(a).(5)

Clinics

yes

International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 27000 Framework

standard

8.2.2

Whole university

no

National Institute of Standards and Technology 800-171 Framework

standard

PR.AT-1

Whole university

no

Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard

standard

12.6

Those areas that process credit cards

yes