Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Who are you training

From: "Hagan, Sean" <sean.hagan () YC EDU>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 17:22:18 +0000

All of our employees are expected to complete an annual "Information Security Awareness" training that is, as the title
perhaps implies, broad in scope.

We classify employees based on their access to sensitive data.  Those that have access to sensitive or higher
classifications of data (per our Information Security Data Classification standard) are required to complete an annual
"Protecting Information" training/review that addresses GLBA, FERPA, HIPAA, PCI, and relevant state statutes.  They
must certify annually their understanding of responsibilities associated with access to this data.  All of this is
automated using a policy acceptance front-end we wrote for our website/web portal.  I should also qualify that we
conduct a separate "Red Flag" training for a much smaller subset of individuals that routinely handle financial
transactions and related data.  That is managed entirely within our Business Office, and IIRC only applies to employees
within that area.

Some of this is a new process for us, but I believe it will satisfy GLBA and FERPA (really both FSA) guidelines and be
sufficient for our annual compliance audits.

To put some numbers on this:
We have approximately 1400 total employees.  15% (~200) would be considered to have access to Sensitive or Restricted
data per our classification standard.  About 15 of those same individuals receive the separate "Red Flag" training.

Sean Hagan
Chief Information Security Officer
Yavapai College
(928) 717-7651 - direct