Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Unusual pattern of compromised accounts

From: "Arffa, Letheshia" <LARFFA () BENTLEY EDU>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 15:14:05 +0000

I have heard of this pattern of exploiting payroll and using Greendot.  Here are some patterns you should look for and
if you can share the answers, I think others will be grateful.

1.      Have they compromised mail accounts and created mail filters?

2.      Have you determined if the break-ins were all from the same IP address? And was that IP address external?

3.      Do you use multi-factor authentication?  If not, here is your best opportunity to get it installed.

4.      Consider having direct deposit changes become authorized by payroll instead of self-serve.

Feel free to contact me off list if you have additional questions.

Tisha Arffa
Information Security Project Manager
Bentley University
175 Forest Street, Lindsay 15C