Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SIEM preferences for the budget conscious institution

From: Kevin Wilcox <wilcoxkm () APPSTATE EDU>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 17:14:48 -0500

On 27 January 2017 at 13:51, Christopher Caldwell <caldwell () gwu edu> wrote:

With a judicious use of Puppet to manage the Splunk infrastructure, I (1
person) manage three clusters (including one multi-site), totaling 12
indexers, 11 search heads, nearly 500 forwarders (both co-located and
“syslog servers”) and 4TB of data by myself.

​Just for clarification, are you using forwarders as Splunk uses forwarders
or as the rest of the logging world uses forwarders? I.e., are you managing
500 servers that are "heavy forwarders" and exist only to serve the logging
infrastructure (the way the rest of the logging world uses the word
forwarders) or are there 500 servers running the Splunk agent (as opposed
to sending via syslog), thereby technically being a "light forwarder" (but
not actually existing to serve Splunk)? And is that 4TB of data indexed
daily or 4TB total in the ecosystem?

kmw