Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Microsoft MFA vs. Duo

From: "Gregg, Christopher S." <csgregg () STTHOMAS EDU>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 17:28:05 +0000

It looks like there has been a fair amount of discussion around Duo and rolling out MFA, usually Duo on the list.

Has anyone here run a recent comparison between using the Microsoft multifactor authentication solution vs. Duo?

Duo appears to be incredibly popular in the higher ed space, and I have heard nothing but good things about it.

We're an Office365 shop, and we already have Azure AD Premium licenses for the self-service password reset
functionality.  Our initial pilot of the Microsoft MFA solution with the Microsoft Authenticator mobile app is working
really slick.  I am in the process of talking with Duo reps this week, but I am curious from others who may have done a
comparison and/or who have implemented Microsoft MFA as their solution.

I am suspecting that the heavy leaning to Duo in the higher ed space is the price combined with the functionality.  The
functionality comparison is looking pretty close to me at this point, so maybe we are unique in already having the AADP
licensing that covers Microsoft MFA which changes the cost equation for us.  Or maybe we're missing something big that
separates the two from a functionality point of view?

Feel free to respond to the group or out of band, and I'd be happy share more about what we end up deciding and how it
goes.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Gregg
Associate Vice President of Information Security & Risk Management
Information Technology Services (ITS)
csgregg () stthomas edu<mailto:csgregg () stthomas edu>
p 1 (651) 962-6265
University of St. Thomas | stthomas.edu<https://www.stthomas.edu>

[University of St. Thomas : All for the Common Good]<http://www.stthomas.edu/e>