Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Questions about your VPN

From: Steven Alexander <steven.alexander () KCCD EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 17:43:57 +0000

We require MFA for VPN access; currently we use Duo.

Most of the district IT staff have access.  We provide access to administrators on request or to faculty/staff on the
request of their administrator.  Requests are generally granted but we do ask questions and will bring HR into the loop
as necessary (e.g. to confirm that an hourly employee should be doing work from home).

We don’t require a managed workstation but we set them up with only RDP access to their own workstation over the VPN so
they can’t directly access our servers and file shares from their home PC; that said, many/most of the users with
remote access are using a district-issued laptop.  We have started requiring full-disk encryption on laptops but the
implementation is still in progress.  The RDP configuration is the only one we’ve deployed since I started but we may
have users on a different profile with direct access to certain applications.

In the future, I would like to ensure that users who are planning to use their own computers have AV and a currently
supported OS (e.g. no Windows XP).

Regards,

Steven Alexander
Director of IT Security