Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Questions about your VPN

From: Adam Maynard <AMaynard () CLARKU EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 15:18:17 +0000

Do you require two-factor authentication?
If you have confidential data, like that required of PCI, HIPAA, etc. 2FA is a must.

Who do you allow on your VPN (fac, staff, students, IT)?

Staff/IT – yes. Faculty and students on a case-by-case basis. Like, maybe if they’re working on a non-sensitive
research project.

How many profiles do you have (one for each above, more granular)?
I think it might be easier to do security groups and ACL’s

Do you require a managed workstation to access the VPN?
A Secure Centrally/Domain managed machine, like a typical workstation. Restrict remoting tools (MS RDC, SSH). For
example an IT member would VPN in, WOL (if needed),  RDC/RDP to their workstation, and login as normal. You could also
have a dedicated workstation that doesn’t sleep, on the campus side for remote access, for say trusted IT that need to
access sensitive data.

But you could already have staff and faculty that use 3rd party tools like Chrome RD, PCanywhere, Logmein, etc.

  _