Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Questions about your VPN

From: Adam Copeland <copelanda () MAIL MONTCLAIR EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 10:35:46 -0400

Everyone,

Our org is trying to put together a long term plan on how we're going to
use our VPN for off-campus access to on-campus resources and I was just
curious what other schools were doing.

I'm personally of the opinion that our use of a VPN as educational
institutions would wind up being very different from VPN use in an org like
a healthcare provider or financial institution. However, I wanted to gather
some information about what edus do. Any answers to these questions would
be helpful.

Who do you allow on your VPN (fac, staff, students, IT)?

How many profiles do you have (one for each above, more granular)?

Do you require two-factor authentication?

Do you require a managed workstation to access the VPN?

Thanks for your help.

--
*Adam Copeland*
Security Engineer