Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: password length and required reset

From: Brad Judy <brad.judy () CU EDU>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2016 17:12:02 +0000

That calculator uses CPU based cracking on a reasonable, but not high-end CPU.  For GPU based processing with a decent
card, speeds can be 1000x faster than what is listed on his calculator (for example, MD5 is more like 8 billion/sec,
not 8 million/sec).

Keep in mind that attackers don’t do pure brute-forcing, they use dictionaries of known passwords and pattern
algorithms based on common password character patterns.  It’s much more efficient than pure brute forcing, which is the
last step for cracking.  Knowledge of the password requirements for the targeted system can focus efforts as well.

Also keep in mind, the target isn’t usually one person’s specific password, but efficiently extracting whatever
passwords they can and then using those passwords to expand access.

In short, no, don’t use that page as an estimate on how much time it takes a real attacker.  In real life, it’s
probably closer to 10,000 times faster than those times between better hardware and optimized processes, so your 533
years could be a few days.  Just trying the 1000 most commonly used passwords will “crack” a decent percentage of
passwords instantly.

Brad Judy

Information Security Officer
Office of Information Security