Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

password length and required reset

From: Mike Cunningham <mike.cunningham () PCT EDU>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2016 19:28:31 +0000

We current have a password length rule of 6 with a password expiration of 180 days. We are considering changing that to
a length of 12 with a recommendation to use a pass phrase, and no expiration. Students can want to can change their
password daily or never. We believe the longer length requirement will make the password so much stronger that the
password reset is no longer needed. This change is for students ONLY. Employees will still have a password recent
requirement.

Thanks

Mike Cunningham
VP of Information Technology Services/CIO
Pennsylvania College of Technology