Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: i think i'm hacked - is this the right place to ask ?

From: "Lentes, Bernd" <0000002c1fd0e2c2-dmarc-request () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 03:22:41 +0100

----- On Nov 17, 2016, at 2:55 AM, Adam Maynard AMaynard () CLARKU EDU wrote:

Not exactly. This is mostly Information sharing, collaboration, and advice for
security professionals in Higher Education.

But any who... maybe I can assist anyway. Can you describe it some more? What
are your symptoms? What have you done so far? Any clue of the cause?

…Now that I think about it, the better questions are:

Does your research institute not have anyone with information Security
knowledge?

Does your research institute have an incident responses plan?

-Adam

Ok. I will try to describe a bit more detailed.
It's an Ubuntu 16.06 system, kernel is 4.4.0-45-generic (most recent, including dirty-cow patch).
We realized that sometimes access via ssh is possible, sometimes not. I tried with nmap, sometimes the port was closed,
sometimes not (trying from different hosts) !

We managed to establish several ssh connections, but some of them broke down, some not.
The host should not be accessible from the internet (i trust our firewall admin ...).

What i found out until now:

/etc/passwd and /etc/shadow were changed today, although no one created a user !
We have now a user guest-gid-nis: guest-gidnis:x:999:999:Guest:/tmp/guest-gidnis:/bin/bash
Homedirectory in a tmp folder ? I googled guest-gidnis, no match.

last says(ip addresses deleted for the root logins):

root     pts/8             Wed Nov 16 16:22   still logged in
root     pts/50            Wed Nov 16 15:20   still logged in
root     pts/49            Wed Nov 16 15:14   still logged in
guest-ic tty9         :2               Wed Nov 16 15:13 - 15:13  (00:00)
guest-gi tty8         :1               Wed Nov 16 14:17    gone - no logout
root     pts/25            Wed Nov 16 13:51 - 16:02  (02:11)
root     pts/23            Wed Nov 16 13:49 - 14:44  (00:55)
root     pts/21            Wed Nov 16 13:35 - 14:44  (01:09)

Tty8 and tty9 ? Sounds strange to me.

I will provide you with further information.
To the others: my questions are not law related, and i try to avoid revealing sensitive information.

Thanks.

Bernd

Helmholtz Zentrum Muenchen
Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH)
Ingolstaedter Landstr. 1
85764 Neuherberg
www.helmholtz-muenchen.de
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzende: MinDir'in Baerbel Brumme-Bothe
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Prof. Dr. Guenther Wess, Dr. Alfons Enhsen
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Muenchen HRB 6466
USt-IdNr: DE 129521671