Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: System Hardening Standards

From: Eric Lukens <eric.lukens () UNI EDU>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 14:32:17 -0600

Indeed, if every machine had to follow the rules exactly, many software
packages would not function, especially those made by Oracle.

Microsoft in their Security Compliance Manager baselines for Windows 10
have been removing what they see as unnecessary, legacy, or default
settings since auditors have had a tendency to require that *all* settings
be enforced. So sadly, rather than fixing the process, they've had to
resort to molding the security standard to work around over-zealous
auditors. See
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/secguide/2015/11/18/changes-from-the-windows-8-1-baseline-to-the-windows-10-th11507-baseline/
for the full details on the Microsoft SCM changes. (Keep in mind this was
their preview, there are mistakes in some of the settings there that they
had to change or revert.)

We use the SCM for our Windows baselines and CIS for Linux. I still consult
the CIS guide for Windows to see if there are settings I want to add, and
there's some of my own stuff in there as well, so our baseline does go
"above and beyond" the Microsoft SCM defaults.

-Eric

On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 2:32 AM, Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu>