Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Self-Phishing - Pre Launch Messages

From: Rob Milman <rob.milman () SAIT CA>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 12:22:18 -0700

Hi James,

We have just started our phishing campaign for this year. We use SANS STH Phishing to conduct the campaign. They
strongly advised that we send a pre-launch message, which I’ve included for you below. Our CIO also informed our
management team about the campaign. Overall the response has been positive.

“As you know, we take information security extremely seriously. Starting next month we will be kicking off phishing
assessments. A phishing assessment is nothing more than when we send out an email pretending to be a hacker, these are
the very same email attacks that the bad guys are sending. The only difference is these emails will not harm you in any
way, they are only designed to measure behaviors and help you learn how to identify these scams and protect yourself. A
couple of key points:

 *   We will be sending out these emails once a month, on a random day and time. Each month will be different.
 *   If you fall victim to one of these phishing emails you will be notified immediately. However, your name is not
reported to management or anyone on the security team, it will not impact you in anyway. This training is designed to
help you learn.
 *   Twenty-four hours after each assessment we will send an email out to everyone explaining the attack and how you
could have figured out the email was a scam or attack.
If you have any questions about this program or suggestions on how to improve it, please contact (insert your name
here) . He is responsible for (insert Institution name here) security awareness program and will be happy to hear from
you.”

Thanks,

Rob