Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Anti-Virus/Malware Enterprise Options

From: Kyle Szuta <kszuta () ITHACA EDU>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2016 16:16:44 +0000

Hi Doug,

We made the switch from McAfee to SCEP on both or Windows and Mac endpoints. In the year before we made the switch, we
were not very impressed with McAfee’s detection and removal performance, so I would hesitantly give SCEP the edge
there. We have also added Microsoft’s offline SCEP program to our endpoint field techs’ toolboxes.

Echoing Brian’s point on SCCM. The reporting and central control here are useful. For example, I get an email anytime
multiple assets are infected with the same signature. This helps with triaging our responses. One exception here is
that currently the Mac SCEP client does not report anything back to SCCM. So we can not get alerts for those assets.

--
Kyle Szuta
Information Security Engineer