Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Minimum userid character length

From: John Elliott <jelliott () CCA EDU>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 17:23:07 -0800

Hello Community,
  It looks like the topic of security related to username length has been
hotly debated in some circles
<http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/46875/why-is-there-a-minimum-username-length>.
From my reading the danger is in being likely to receive more spam, thus
more exposure to phishing etc. Though this is security related I don't
think it's strictly less secure. That said, I have a negative gut reaction
to single letter usernames as well and don't have any objection to
implementing a minimum username length requirement so long as there is
*some* basis for the character limit. I have the same negative gut reaction
to arbitrarily choosing a minimum as well. What does your institution
recommend to their users?
Thanks,

~John Elliott

*John Elliott*
Security Team Lead / Systems Administrator - A.I.S.
*C*alifornia *C*ollege of the *A*rts
Phone: 415.551.9228
Zoom Personal Meeting URL: https://cca.zoom.us/j/3677415794
technology.cca.edu | Email: jelliott () cca edu

*For technical support, contact the ETS Helpdesk:*
Phone: 510.594.5010 | Fax: 510.594.3758
helpdesk.cca.edu | Email: helpdesk () cca edu