Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Exception to Session Logoff Policy

From: Antonio Crespo <acrespo () BARNARD EDU>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 16:56:50 -0500

Hello All,

We implemented a lockout after 15 minutes of inactivity as a standard for
systems across the college at the operating system level.  We couldn't
enforce it at the application level due to business cases, so some
applications have longer timeouts.  Exception requests come to Information
Security for review and we've approved a few exceptions based on business
case/risk.

Our academic technical support team also leverages Presentation Mode in
Windows 8 for temporary extensions, like board meetings or events on campus.

I hope this helps.

--

Best Regards,

Antonio Crespo
Senior Director, IT Security
Barnard College

*"*Passwords are like toothbrushes: don’t share them, and change them
periodically!"

***This message is intended for the use of the addressee and may contain
information that is privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the
distribution or copying of the information contained in this message is
strictly unauthorized and prohibited. If you have received this message in
error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete the message from
your system.  Opinions, conclusions or other statements in this message are
neither given nor endorsed by Barnard College.  This email is for
informational purposes only and not meant to bind the sender or Barnard
College.***