Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Minimum userid character length

From: "Shalla, Kevin" <kshalla () UIC EDU>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 14:54:48 +0000

Our three campuses have different standards for username generation, ranging from automatically assigning based upon a
formula (first initial + last name + number if not unique) to allowing a user to use anything that’s currently unused.
I’m pushing for a standard that requires that the username to be composed from name, with the person being allowed to
choose from a list (containing parts of at least two parts of name (first, middle, last). That would allow people to
omit first name if they prefer middle name, or even omit last name for those who think they may change last name (like
unmarried women) and wouldn’t want a username that would tie to the previous name.

We currently have silly usernames like gambler and titan that are unrelated to the person’s name, and so convey no
information to users of the username (everyone except the owner). Given that the owners are not really the main users
of their own username (the main users are access administrators, e-mailers, etc.), it wastes staff time if users are
allowed to choose non-name-based usernames.

Kevin Shalla
Academic and Enrollment Services
University of Illinois at Chicago