Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Exception to Session Logoff Policy

From: Michael Van Norman <mvn () UCLA EDU>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 17:35:46 +0000

This is a no brainer — change the session timer (at least for the labs in question).  Regardless of things suggested by
standards, why would you let a document meant to cover a wide range of use cases trump an actual, concrete, local
business requirement?  One of the key pillars of information security is availability.  If the policy is making the
resource unavailable when it needs to be available, the policy is the security breach.

/Mike

On 1/22/16, 9:25 AM, "The EDUCAUSE Security Constituent Group Listserv on behalf of Carroll, Tim" <SECURITY () LISTSERV
EDUCAUSE EDU<mailto:SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU> on behalf of Carrolltd () ROANESTATE EDU<mailto:Carrolltd ()
ROANESTATE EDU>> wrote:

Good Morning,

I have a request from an Academic Organization to change the session logoff time from our standard 15 minutes of
inactivity to 60 minutes to accommodate teaching in dedicated labs.  After researching for a standard I can find no
clear consensus; although 15 minutes seems to be the most commonly adopted.  OMB M-06-16 (PDF) U.S. Presidential
Memorandum Protection of Sensitive Agency Information recommends time-out after 30 minutes; NIST SP800-46 suggests 15
minutes; Standards among Higher Education institutions vary widely from 1 to 30 minutes depending on where the computer
is located and what data is being accessed.

My question is, what automatic logoff standard are you using and do you allow for exceptions?  What sources do you cite
to support your decision if any?

Regards,

Tim
Tim Carroll
Assistant Vice President and Chief Information Officer
Information Technology
Roane State Community College
carrolltd () roanestate edu<mailto:carrolltd () roanestate edu>
865-882-4560

This email is intended for the addressee and may contain privileged information. If you are not the addressee, you are
not permitted to use or copy this email or its attachments nor may you disclose the same to any third party. If this
has been sent to you in error, please delete the email and notify us by replying to this email immediately.