Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Recent experience traveling China

From: "Rajewski, Jonathan" <rajewski () CHAMPLAIN EDU>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 09:02:36 -0500

It's all about your comfort level of risk. What can you try to stop/detect
- hardware implants vs malicious software etc. The former is far more
difficult to detect without physical inspection pre/post trip.

Encrypt anything that is going over there using proven security
technologies. Laptops/phones/removable media. Use UEFI secure boot. Patch
everything etc. The harder you make it to compromise the better.

I agree with those that said to bring new technology with them that can be
disposed of when they return. While the people traveling abroad may or not
be high value targets, those back at your college may be - so a motivated
attacker would compromise the low hanging fruit systems abroad only to use
them as a mechanism to then attack your home network when they plug back in
state side. The fear is you may or may not have the tools to detect this
when they get back. The concept of issuing 40 new devices may not be
practical, so the next best thing could be to tell those going abroad that
you will be wiping / reinstalling the machine when they return (if it's a
college asset). If you choose that route, I would ensure you have a plan in
place to really do this. logistics etc.

Another option (depending on your comfort level) is install agents on the
machines you are sending to China that would detect system changes - so I'm
thinking carbon black/bit 9 and or cylance etc. I would also advise
grabbing a forensic image before they leave, and another when then when
they return. A good analyst should be able to detect changes that would
indicate malware was/is on the machine.

Using a prepositioned trusted vpn with proper user training is also a must.
The issue is if they leave an unencrypted laptop at the hotel, vpn creds
can be taken and a keystroke logger could easily be installed. Also when
they vpn back to the college, ensure you are logging netflow and anything
else that you can use to detect a compromise from abroad (see the
presentation from NSA's TAO at USENIX conference on why this is important
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDJb8WOJYdA)– ensure you have that traffic
segmented and not on a flat connection into the enterprise.

That all said, it really comes down to your comfort level of risk. Please
let me know if you have any questions.

On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 3:36 PM, Don M. Blumenthal <dmb () donblumenthal com>