Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Anyone have a PCI/DSS 3.1 Compliant Unattended Payment Terminal Solution?

From: Bruce Curtis <bruce.curtis () NDSU EDU>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 19:48:18 +0000

On Feb 18, 2016, at 10:40 AM, Mandi Witkovsky <witkovsm () IPFW EDU> wrote:

We have a strong desire by administration to provide a payment terminal/kiosk for students to may payments.  We have
always had issues providing a compliant kiosk, and in fact have stripped them out of our environment because we don’t
have the manpower to maintain it.

Is anyone using (or know of) hardware/service to outsource this functionality?

Thanks,
mandi

    Sorry I have no information to help you but I just read that banks are starting to deploy cardless ATMs.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/chase-plans-rollout-no-card-atms-don-t-lose-your-n504786

  I was wishfully thinking that there would already be a careless payment kiosk and a google search instead found
something more relevant to your question.

http://usakiosks.com/payment_solutions/

But it also found this

http://www.idtechproducts.com/products/contactless-readers/172.html

which since it doesn’t use a card it may be out of scope (if using tokenization or encryption).  I believe that Apple
Pay would be out of PCI scope for it, not sure about the others.  They seem to be cards with NFC or other chips in them
which might indicate that it would still be in scope.

---
Bruce Curtis                         bruce.curtis () ndsu edu
Certified NetAnalyst II                701-231-8527
North Dakota State University