Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Use of Acompli to accelerate email to IOS and Android

From: "Douglass G. Burak" <burakd () BUCKS EDU>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 13:09:44 -0500

Another article on the topic...

http://windowsitpro.com/blog/do-ex-acompli-now-outlook-clients-really-compromise-security-or-everyone-overreacting

Douglass G. Burak
IT Security Officer
Bucks County Community College
Newtown, PA 18940

From: The EDUCAUSE Security Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU] On Behalf Of David
Treble
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2015 12:41 PM
To: SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU
Subject: Re: [SECURITY] Use of Acompli to accelerate email to IOS and Android

We've also found with our tests yesterday that our ActiveSync policy that enforces a pin code and auto-lock time, can
be bypassed using the Outlook mobile app.

An interesting article, if you haven't seen it yet...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/01/30/dev_finds_bleak_security_outlook_for_ios_app/

Our mail team has found a way to block the app (we don't have an enterprise wide MDM solution yet), but it sends a
confusing message to the end user.